This Hexa core processor is one of a kind CPU unit in the Coffee Lake Line by Intel. The 8th generation processor blows its own trumpet with the gigantic configuration (12 threads, base clock speed 3.7GHz, Turbo speed 4.7GHz, TDP rating 95W) and overclocking flexibility.
No wonder this gem is considered the Beast for the gamers and the work wife for the workaholics. Be it fierce gaming or intense editing or rendering tasks; this CPU stayed on the top with its colossal fan base.
The mightier the processor is, the more professional the cooling should be. Overclocking and overheating go hand in hand in computing. And here, you must pair the system with an efficient cooler.
Our team of experts has researched and finalized the best CPU cooler for i7 8700k. Stay tuned to the last segment.
Best 6 CPU Coolers For i7 8700k
Be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Dual Silent Wings cooling fan
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2
Fine copper base and EPDM seal build quality ensures a longer lifespan
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Six copper heat pipes, Copper base, aluminum fins for utmost cooling performance
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
CDC technology for optimum cooling
EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One
Adjustable Pump and Fan speed Slider for speed control
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO
54 aluminum fins for maximum airflow
1. Be quiet! Dark Rock 4 – Best Overall Air Cooler
Unlike any other coolers, Dark Rock air cooler 4 has a 135mm PWM modulation fan with nine precision airflow optimized blades. The PWM modulation supports speed controlling and speeds up to almost 1,500 RPM. The silent wings fan connects to 4 pin connectors.
Be Quiet with its single tower system supports two fans with one pre-installed and is designed with extra room for another 120mm fan for better cooling.
This air cooler is compatible with a wide range of sockets (Intel and AMD sockets) and is a perfect fit for the Intel core for i7 8700k.
This Air Cooler is designed with zigzag-shaped fins in the front and contoured in the back with small dots. The fins are constructed to maximize the airflow to a commendable limit when the i7 8700k is at its peak with overclocking and other hectic stuff.
The six-pole motor is the primary mechanism behind the quiet performance; it is tuned to ensure resilient FDB (Fluid Dynamic Bearing) and lessens vibration while working.
It has a 200W TDP rating which is double (actually more) than the actual TDP of i7-8700K. Thus even in hectic tasks as in 4k rendering, this cooler can maintain the temperature within 50 to 60 degrees.
Though Dark Rock 4 does not have up-to-date RGB lighting, this classic black CPU cooler looks excellent with ceramic particle coating. The single tower layout and diamond-cut aluminum heat sink ensure ultimate heat tolerance.
- Compatible Computer Memory Type: PC1066
- Intel socket compatibility: Intel LGA 2066, 2011-v3, 2011, 1151, 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366
- AMD socket compatibility: AMD AM4, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, FM2+, FM2, FM1
- Noise Level in Maximum Workload: 21.4 dB
- Product Dimension: 120 x 120 x 25mm, 135 x 135 x 22mm
- Release Date: September 2018
- Dual Silent Wings cooling fan option: 135mm and 120mm
- 6mm Copper heat pipes (best medium for heat conductivity)
- Six poles powerful motor for inaudible cooling performance
- 200 TDP rating enhances the RAM modulation
- No noise at all
- Classy black outlook
- It can be mounted over the motherboard from the top
- It comes with all the installation kits
- Expensive. More on the High-end side
Final Rating: 5/5
2. Cooler Master- Master CPU Liquid AIO Cooler
The latest version of the lite series by Cooler Master, this AIO CPU cooler ensures efficiency and aesthetics at a time. It presents a 3rd generation dual-chamber pump to maximize the water volume capacity and an optimum water flow through the system.
The surface radiator size is 240mm, increasing by 25% for better cooling performance. Moreover, the fins are deep enough to ensure the finest airflow.
There are two seven blades 120mm Sickle flow RGB radiator fans available. The fans are quite transparent, has RGB LED lights and operates within the range of 650-1800RPM. Both the fans connect with PWM connectors and claims to have a noise level under 27dBA.
It features a wired controller to customize the colors and effects of the improved RGB V2 lighting. This liquid AIO CPU cooler offers an industrial grade EPDM seal for prolonged durability.
- Compatible Sockets: LGA 2066/ 2011-v3/ 2011/ 1151/ 1150/ 1155/ 1156/ 1366, AM4/ AM3+/ AM3/ AM2+ / AM2/ FM2+/ FM2/ FM1
- Pump Noise Levels: <15dBA
- Expected Pump Lifespan: 70000 hours
- Fan Noise Levels: 6-27dBA
- Fan Lifespan: 160,000 hours
- Product Dimension: 10.9 x 4.7 x 1.1 inches
- Package Includes Screws, mounting brackets, syringe, instruction manual, warranty documents, RGB lights and fans, RGB controller.
- Radiator Material: Aluminum
- Dual 120mm Sickle flow RGB fans
- 240mm radiator surface with deep fins
- It comes with anchors to mount on AMD and Intel processors
- Fine copper base and EPDM seal build quality ensures a longer lifespan and leak-free operation
- Third generation dual-chamber pump is mostly inaudible
- PWM fan connectors provide optimum speed control
- Available two RGB lighting zones
- Low noise operation
- Long-lasting and performance-oriented
- It comes with all the necessary mounting equipment
- As per the features and cooling performance, the pricing is a little too high.
Final Rating: 4.9/5
3. Noctua NH– Premium CPU Air Cooler
Belongs to the award-winning splendid NH-U series, this Noctua NH-U14S CPU Air cooler is massive and can cool the high-end, gigantic processors. Custom designed specially to support the Intel (i9, i7, i5, and i3), AMD’s EPYC, and RYZEN Threadripper.
Tremendous cooling performance, high-grade material, more than 250 awards, and the solid recommendations by international magazines and tech geniuses ranked this as the best Air cooler.
This Noctua NH-U14S TR4 CPU air cooler is designed with an NF-A15 140mm fan and 6000cm2 aluminum fin surface area, results in nearly unmatchable cooling. The fan supports PWM, which ensures speed operation up to 1500 RPM.
Customers reviewed this Intel to be noiseless. And the credit goes to the additional fan clips and anti-vibration pads which provide quiet operation regardless.
There are six copper heat pipes for maximum heat conductivity; thus, it can easily endure overclocking and other massive tasks. The whole package comes with all the necessary parts for installation, and it takes only a moment to mount the CPU cooler.
- Product Dimension: 3.07 x 5.91 x 6.5 inches
- Fan Dimension: 140mm
- Release Date: July 2013
- MTTF: > 150,000 h
- Maximum Airflow: 82.5 CFM
- Package Includes: SecuFirm2 mounting kit, Low-Noise Adaptor (LNA), metal case badge
- Compatible Sockets: TR4 & sTRX4 AMD Ryzen Threadripper CPUs ( 3990X, 2950X, 2920X, Epyc 7003/7002/7001 series)
- Noise Levels: 24 dB
- Six copper heat pipes, Copper base, aluminium fins for utmost cooling performance
- overall Nickel plating ensures long-lasting durability
- Available mounting for two fans at a time
- NF-A15 140mm fan provides optimal airflow
- SecuFirm2 mounting kit enables compatibility with the SLI and CrossFire multi-GPU setups. Even upturns the clearance of the PCIe slot by offsetting the cooler from 3mm to 6mm.
- Noiseless operation
- Recommended by multiple reputed magazines
- Extremely easy to install
- High-grade thermal compound
- No RGB lights available (it is not a severe issue, though)
Final Rating: 4.8/5
4. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo – Best Budget Friendly CPU Cooler
This cooler is among the bestsellers; this inexpensive model from Cooler Master is more efficient for low to medium gaming, workload, or overclocking. It has been in the market for quite a long time, but recently it has been upgraded and offers an AM4 bracket.
The Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler excels in cooling with CDC (Continuous Direct Contact) technology. It has four copper heat pipes (6mm) place side by side to ensure direct contact with each other. This technology ensures 6% increased contact surface and 5% more efficient cooling.
The aluminum fins balance the performance of the virtual vapor chamber (copper pipes). The unit comes with a 120mm fan waved in shape and transparent. The fan is easily controllable, and users can operate it according to their needs.
The noise range is tolerable, and the all-black design looks quite appealing. Moreover, the overall design is sensible (it is tall but not wide). One thing to mention, this is the best economical option for anyone who is not willing to pay a whopping amount on coolers.
- Product Dimension: 3.1 x 6.3 x 4.7 inches
- Socket Compatibility: Intel 775, 115x, 1366, 2011x, 2066, 1200, AMD FM2(+), FM1, AM2(+), AM3(+), AM4
- Noise Level: 36dB
- Power Connector Type: 4 pin
- Speed: 600 to 2000 RPM
- Fan Airflow: 24.9 – 82.9 CFM ± 10%
- Fan Lifespan: 40,000 hours
- CDC technology for optimum cooling
- Four copper heat pipes for better cooling performance
- Aluminum fins ensure balanced airflow
- Budget option
- Another fan be mounted
- Cleaning is effortless
- Sometimes can be a little while on the highest speed
Final Rating: 4.9/5
5. EVGA CLC 280mm – LED CPU Liquid AIO Cooler
An ultimately closed-loop cooler or CLC 280mm, results in eventual triumph when cooling down any CPU models is the concern. If you have a gaming rig or a computer with a massive workload, this liquid AIO cooler should be a clever choice.
Though it is based on the Asetek design and resembles the basic high-end closed loop coolers, the block design stands out from all. The 100% copper block comes in a square shape with rounded edges. It functions the same as any premium model; prime excellence is a guarantee.
The copper block maintains flowrate and heat conductivity for a top-quality cooling experience. The aluminum radiator is larger and ensures a more heat transfer surface. Aluminum fins are placed in a manner to provide maximum airflow.
There are two 140 mm PWM fans that can be operated at various speeds. Users can opt for the lowest speed for quiet operation and go for the highest speed for maximum output. The braided tubings from the radiator to the CPU block look incredibly sleek.
It comes with built-in RGB lights, which can be controlled through the EVGA Flow Control Software. You can also control the fan speed, pump settings, and other features with the Software.
- Product Dimension: 7 x 14 x 7.7 inches
- Compatible Sockets: AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, AM4, FM1, FM2, FM2+, LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, LGA2011, LGA2011-3, LGA2066, sTR4, sTRX4
- Release Date: March 2017
- Noise Level: 39.5 dB
- Fan Speed: 600-2200RPM
- Fan Noise level: 16.0 dB(A) – 39.5 dB(A)
- Fan Airflow: 113.50 CFM
- Fan Lifespan: 80,000 Hours
- Radiator Size: 280 x 120 x 27mm
- 140mm dual curved fans
- Available RGB lighting
- EVGA Flow Control Software to control the whole unit
- 100% copper block for maximum heat conductivity
- Adjustable Pump and Fan speed Slider for speed control
- Teflon bearings ensure longer life expectancy
- Controllable RGB lighting
- Extremely Durable
- High-quality heat component
- It gets quite noisy
Final Rating: 4.6/5
6. ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO – Lightweight Cooler
Available heat pipes, high-quality fan, MX-4 as the thermal compound, and extreme performance level makes this mid-size cooler a complete package. It comes with a dual 120mm Arctic Bionix fan that runs on the Fluid Dynamic Bearings and speeds within 200 to 2100 RPM.
There are four copper heat pipes, and each measures 6mm for better heat distribution. These pipes are aligned in a way featuring the direct contact technology to ensure supreme performance. It can even cover the highest 18 core versions.
This Cooler features 54 aluminum fins (.4mm) to maximize airflow. Apart from the basic features, installation and mounting are straightforward with this particular cooler.
It weighs very light thus easy to carry around.
- Product Dimension: 4.06 x 4.88 x 6.18 inches
- Compatible Sockets: AMD and Intel
- Noise Range: .5 sones
- Offers 120mm Arctic Bionix fans
- Four copper heat pipes available
- 54 aluminum fins for maximum airflow
- Runs on Fluid Dynamic Bearings
- Easy to install
- Elegant outlook
- No RGB lighting available
Final Rating: 4.6/5
What makes CPU Cooler best?
- CPU coolers lower the system temperature through convection and extend the lifespan of a processor. When a user overclocks the PC or puts too much load on it, the processor starts releasing heat. And the heat can ultimately damage the whole system. CPU cooler dissipates the heat from the i7 8700k and keeps it healthy.
- Coolers are a great sort of investment. Once you invest and install a CPU cooler, you will certainly get rid of some serious repairing costs of your PC (including power consumption). Hence a long-term investment it is.
- CPU coolers look pretty attractive as well. It can add a whole new vibrancy to your pc.
Check out this video for more detail guide:
Things to Look for While Buying
As the market offers tons of options, we have created a guide including all the must-have features for an ideal CPU cooler to ease your confusion.
Air Cooler or Liquid AIO Cooler
CPU coolers are categorized into two different variants; the air cooler and the AIO Liquid Cooler.
To be specific, an air cooler works with massive heat sinks and fans. Air Coolers transmit heat as a gas through the pipes with the help of fans. Air Coolers do not have any pumps or radiators.
On the other hand, AIO Liquid/ Water Coolers mostly have heat pipes, radiators, and fans working together to transfer the heat from the processor. The copper pipes are usually filled with liquid system components.
Both the variants are significant for cooling and serve different purposes. Here, we have attached a general table differentiating the critical facts about both the Cooler types. Users can quickly determine from the table which type is suitable for them.
AIO Liquid Coolers
They are on the market for a longer time
They are the latest addition to the cooling system
Economical and add tremendous value as per the price
Air Coolers work at a modest level
Liquid Coolers sink the temperature 5 to 10 degrees more than AIR coolers
These are pretty bulky in size
Compact in size and look elegant
Air Coolers are Usually noisy
Ensure quiet operation
There is no possibility of leakage
Though in rare conditions but leakage can occur
Little Tip from reviewer's End: If you are using your Intel i7 8700k for a modest workload or usage and have a small budget, just go for the Air Cooler. And if you have heavy computing plans and possibilities of overclocking and do not mind paying a hefty amount, trust an AIO liquid cooler blindly.
Heat pipes are designed to dissipate optimum heat. Usually, more heat pipes mean more cooling efficiency (it’s not the only factor, though).
Moreover, the heat pipe material and build quality are also important. Copper, as a heat pipe material, is great as it maximizes thermal conductivity.
Fans are essential for ultimate airflow. Fans come in different sizes; the smaller ones are noisy, whereas the larger ones are relatively quiet.
Again four-pin PWM fans are great as they are controllable. Users can easily control the speed and airflow.
TDP (Thermal Design Power) rating is a crucial part to consider. The TDP rating of Intel core I7 8700k is 95w. The cooler must have a TDP rating of more than 95w to ensure excellent cooling performance.
Users need to choose a cooler as per the computing plan. If the processor performs low to mild task/gaming, the cooler must be of moderate efficiency. Again, if overclocking or other overloading tasks are going to happen, the cooler must be highly efficient.
For Intel i7 core 8700k, a moderate to high working cooler would do great.
Though the content does not glorify any specific product within the list (we lionize the whole list), we have a quick recommendation and overview. So, here you go:
Each of them would be an excellent choice for any user but Be quiet! Dark Rock 4, BK021, 200W TDP, CPU Cooler is the best air cooler and should be the first choice for anyone who is hoping for loaded computing. It has the highest TDP rating and performs great while the computer is in maximum workload.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler is compatible with anyone who is looking for a Budget option. This one would perform all the duties within a compact price range.
And the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2, Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler is for the fancy users who would love to have RGB lightings on their AIO CPU cooler.
It’s all about your specifications and requirements, choose accordingly, all of them are the best in their respective work range.
In a word, yes, it does. I7 8700k is considered a powerful processor and can be a gaming rig or an overloaded workstation. The excessive load makes it unbelievably hot, and even some customers have complained it produces extreme heat. Thus it cannot work correctly with a mere stock cooler and needs better external cooling for better durability. Moreover, for the outcome, a cooler is a must for I7 8700k.
Despite being a potent and robust processor, I7 does not include a cooler in the packaging. But once you opt for overclocking and stuff, you must include a cooler for better heat dissipation. For i7, a moderate cooler would be great. Both Air and liquid AIO cooler will be applicable.
Every processor has a safe temp range, but unknowingly Intel core i7 8700k does not have any temperature listing. But presumably, the temperature range can be 30 degrees Celsius at idle and can go up to 90 degrees Celsius at max. Intel claims it to be outstanding up to 90 degrees Celsius. But as per the experts, it is better to keep the temperature within 80 degrees Celsius.
I7 9700k does not have anything significantly superior to claim a must upgrade.
The i7 9700k comes with eight cores, 12MB cache, 95w TDP rating, eight threads, and the clock range within 3.6 GHz to 4.9 GHz.
And the Intel i7 8700k has six cores, 12 MB cache, 95w TDP rating, 12 threads, and a clock range within 3.7 GHz to 4.7 GHz.
The price range is higher for Intel i7 9700k. It is a nice upgrade to have but not a mandatory one.